Tuesday, April 26

Strangely Borne—Part 1

My former speeches have but hit your thoughts,
Which can interpret further: only, I say,
Things have been strangely borne.
—Macbeth III.vi

Being at an office at nine in the morning after gaming until four is a royal pain. I’m getting too old for this. I was willing to bet that nearly everyone in that game last night was in his teens or twenties except me. The hackers were getting better all the time, and to basically turn a treasure-hunt into a first person shooter game was really rude. I wanted to find out who these guys were, but once they were destroyed, they were erased from the game system. It would have been helpful if the mysterious IGotUrBak had kept them alive for interrogation instead of so completely obliterating them.

And that was reason enough to go to the office.

It was one thing to have someone in the office monitoring what I did, but to have him poking his nose into the rest of my life was a little uncalled for, even if benign. He’d even proven helpful on a couple of occasions now. But it was still uncalled for. My life was none of CCS’s business. Today was the day I was going to find out who was on my tail.

I started by checking to see who was in and who wasn’t. It looked like Ford had spent the night in the office. But his normal position was sleeping at his desk and I wasn’t sure if he even had a home to go to. I swung by Arnie’s office and Darlene caught my attention.

“He’s in exec meeting this morning. Can you wait till after lunch to see him?”

“Not a problem. I was just stopping by to update him,” I said. Darlene stifled a yawn. “You look tired. Should we be going for coffee?”

“These meetings start at 7:00. They just kill me. I’m supposed to get my beauty sleep, not be fetching donuts at 6:30 in the morning.”

“Ouch. I barely make it to bed by that time.”

“Mmmm. Hope staying up late is for pleasure.”

“Sort of. About that coffee…”

“No. I have to run interference at 10:00 when they take their ten minute break. Phil looked like he could use coffee when I saw him. Said his 3-month old kept them up all night last night.”

“I’ll stop by and check.” I headed Phil’s direction, but detoured by Don Abrams’ office. It would be interesting to see if anything was happening in the area of Network Security. Don was in jeans and a polo shirt, a baseball hat pulled down low as he stared at his screen. “Hey Don,” I greeted him. “Did I miss the memo on casual Tuesday?”

“I haven’t been home to change yet. We had a hack attack on the network at 3:30 this morning. I got a call from my team and have been here since 4:00. Didn’t take time to shower and dress up before work.”

“What area did they hit?”

“That’s the thing. It looks like they were mostly interested in getting inside. Once they were in, they disappeared as quickly as they entered. It was like they all just unplugged their computers from the network at the same time.”

“All? How many were there?”

“Half a dozen. Looked like they were marauding and just trying to hack through firewalls. Maybe a contest to see who could get through first. We’re looking at the possibility that they are just testing a new approach in getting through and didn’t really have a reason to be there thought out in advance. They were gone before we got an address for them or could isolate the signatures.”

“Sounds nasty,” I said. So the invasion of my six pursuers had triggered an alarm in the system. It sounded like they just retreated, but the message that had come up on my dashboard led me to believe someone inside had expelled them. Still Don seemed to have no knowledge of this. I decided to stick my head into Allen Yarborough’s office. You’d think the System Administration Manager would have been called about the security breach, but Allen’s office was closed and the lights were out. It didn’t look like he’d come in yet.

There was just one other person I was interested in this morning. I still didn’t know what kind of work she did. I went up to the 26th floor and strolled by Jen Roberts’s office. She was just walking out the door. She was dressed sharply in a blue pinstriped suit with a white silk blouse buttoned to the throat. She was carrying a file and nearly tripped into me.

“Oh, Dag! Just the person I wanted to see. Were you coming to see me?”

Jen was brighter and more cheerful than I’d seen her on any other occasion. She must have had a good weekend. I’d avoided her all day on Monday.

“I was just stopping by to get some pointers on filling out a travel request. Ford tells me you are a stickler on setting up cost/benefit analysis and I wanted to find out how you prefer to see travel estimates put together.”

“I’m a stickler with Ford because he submits a travel request every three weeks. If I approved half of them, that would still be four times the team’s entire budget. If you have travel that will advance your work for your boss, just ask him for a travel approval and he’ll sign it for you. You don’t need to bring it to me unless you particularly need it to be discussed and approved in our team meeting.”

“Well, that’s good to know. Did you want to see me about something?”

“Yes. You wouldn’t happen to have been headed out for coffee would you?”

“I was thinking about it. Most of our team seems to be whacked out of their minds with lack of sleep, but no one was interested in taking a break.”

“That’s what I wanted to talk to you about,” she said. “Let’s take a walk.”

***

Unlike the others I’d been out for coffee with, Jen avoided the long walk down the hill to the Daybreak. Instead we entered a bank building on Third and went to the atrium where an independent vendor did a good business all day long with people in suits. I noticed the price of a cup of coffee was about 30% higher than down the hill. Jen had grabbed an umbrella from the stand next to our building entrance to keep the light rain off her perfectly coifed hair and silk blouse. But once we hit the marble of the atrium her wet high heels slid and I caught her in a position that was neither ladylike on her part nor chivalrous on mine. I couldn’t help but notice that she eschewed anything that would strap her in.

“Let’s just pretend that little embarrassment didn’t occur shall we?” she said once she’d straightened up.

“I’m sorry…” I started. She held a hand up to silence me.

“Didn’t occur.”

“Right.” We got our coffees and found a wrought iron table near the three-story windows. If you were high enough, you could see the Sound out the upper part of the windows, but where we were, there was nothing outside but tree planters. “You have something in that file you wanted to go over with me?”

“No. Carrying the file was just a prop to get an impromptu meeting with you. I want to talk to you about last night.” That was a surprise. First, she was the only person I’d seen this morning that didn’t look like she’d been up all night. Second, I didn’t think she could possibly have information that Don didn’t have and he showed no interest in talking to me. Third, I didn’t think she had the technical skill to hack the systems. She seemed more like a numbers person to me.

“What about last night?”

“Forgive me, but you were behaving oddly, and I couldn’t help but notice. I live in West Seattle. I went for a jog and saw you sitting in a coffee shop. I was going to stop and say hello, but you seemed intensely involved in something. You were carting around more computer hardware than most of us have on our desks.”

“Oh.” She didn’t know about the intrusion at all. This was completely off the record. “I was setting up some new gaming equipment.”

“Gaming? As in gambling?”

“No. RPG. That’s a role-playing game. People from all over the country gather together online to participate in a gamemaster’s storyline. I was running a game last night.”

“Not just locals?”

“I don’t really know where most of them are from. They sign on with their gaming alias and we play. Last night we played until quite late?”

“Yes. Do you always have someone trailing you?”

“Trailing me?”

“The guy in black with a Nike jacket on. Seahawks cap. Text messaging all the time.”

“Didn’t even see him.” There was a guy following me? I wracked my brain trying to visualize who was in that coffee shop. I couldn’t call him to mind.

“It was intriguing. Made me curious as to why he was following you, so I followed along.”

“You were following me last night?”

“Oh no. Even in running sweats, if I had been following you, you would have noticed me. I followed him.” I shivered just a little thinking about the parade of followers behind me. Was someone following Jen? I could just imagine her in sweats, jogging along. All right, I’d definitely have noticed. I put that image out of my mind.

“It must have looked pretty strange.”

“I gave up when you caught the bus to the airport and called a taxi to take me home. Did you come to work straight from your game?”

“No. I slept…” I didn’t want to tell her exactly when I ended the game if she didn’t already know. People up at certain hours of the night when other things were happening at those hours would be too easy to connect. “…a few hours before I showered and dressed for work. By the time I got on that bus, the game was beginning to wind down.”

“And how many others on our team were playing your game with you?” There it was. She was suspicious.

“None that I’m aware of. Like I said, people log in with their gaming alias. I don’t try to track down the real identity. Could be the whole company was playing. Were you?”

“Though I try not to be blatant, I don’t play games.” She looked me intently in the eyes and I could see more than a professional interest. Her lips curled into a smirk. After an awkward silence of a few seconds, she changed to a more professional tone.

“You should know that you arrived on the scene at CCS in the midst of an intense power struggle. The company is closely held, but the founders and majority stockholders have been at this for 25 years. They’re getting tired of playing Caesar and are looking around every corner for potential assassins. That includes your boss and mine. It’s clear to me that neither of us was brought here to do the job for which HR has a description. What’s less clear is that we may not have been brought to do the job our bosses described either. Watch your back. It could be a setup.” She let me soak that in for a minute while she finished her coffee. A lot of what she said suddenly fit with my suspicions. “Let’s get back to work.”

She stood and casually tossed her cup in a bin. She walked carefully across the marble floor, put up her umbrella and marched out into the rain.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment